Monday, April 2, 2012

Banana, Flax and Peanut/Almond Butter Smoothie Recipe

Hello!

Today was my first day of Spring quarter. For some reason, I get super excited for school * it goes back to my elementary school days literally* and can't fall asleep. Last night, I picked Nick up at the airport (he was in SoCal for Spring Break), came straight to Santa Clara, unpacked for two hours straight and made a huge to-do list for the week. I was so exhausted I was panting *I know, it's sad, but it's quite a work out sorting 15+ pairs of shoes and boots and reorganizing one's entire closet. I should have broken it up into chunks but the perfectionist within me told me to just get it done and do it well you know? I'll take a pic later.

Anyways, last quarter I LIVED off of this breakfast smoothie. I had it almost every morning and it left me feeling great! I got the recipe from Allison Fishman's section on Cooking Light. She's fantastic! I bought her cookbook You Can Trust A Skinny Cook a few months ago and her recipes are pretty darn delicious and very easy to follow.

On to the recipe, I pretty much follow it to a T. But since I've made it so much, I practically memorized it. But, I've made a few variations to mix it up and make it interesting:
  • I substitute almond milk or soy milk for regular milk (soy gives it a nice creaminess)
  • I also go back in forth between store bought peanut butter and homemade almond butter, both are delicious just depends on your preference I suppose
  • For days I want need extra protein, I throw in a good 1/4 or 1/3 cup full of silk tofu... you can't even taste it I promise!
  • Everytime I make this, I throw in 1/4 cup of oats... I love the "mealy" texture it gives the smoothie and the nuttiness of the oats
Just thought I'd share the recipe with you all! It's delicious and I highly recommend it. I would take a picture but to be perfectly honest, it'd be gone before I even think about taking out my camera...

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment